What if everything you were told about weight loss was wrong?
When it comes to most things in life, we welcome the latest advances in science: from the convenience of our smart phones to the life-saving technology in our hospitals, scientific advancement allow us to be more efficient, more productive, and lead better, happier lives.
We value science. We celebrate innovation & progress. We seek to be in the know. So why are we following fat loss, eating, & exercise advice from the 50s?
Why haven’t we ever questioned the very foundation of every diet, exercise, and weight loss plan—an approach that, not coincidentally, has coincided with decades of escalating and record-breaking levels of obesity and diabetes?
After over 10 years of research and collaboration with some of the top academics, doctors, scientists, and thinkers in the field of health and wellness, Jonathan Bailor has developed a revolutionary new model for weight loss—and lifelong health. In THE CALORIE MYTH, he exposes the fundamental flaw upon which the diet industry has been built: the “eat less + exercise more = weight loss” equation simply doesn’t add up.
In this revolutionary book informed by over 1,300 studies and the new science of fat loss, food, and fitness, Bailor shows us how eating more—of the right kinds of foods—and exercising less—but at a higher intensity—is actually the key to burning fat, healing our hormones, boosting metabolism, and creating long-term weight loss. When we eat lots of high-quality foods like whole plants and nutritious proteins, our bodies are able to achieve a natural, healthy weight—automatically.
When we eat even reduced portions of poor-quality “edible products,” like refined starches, sugars, and processed foods, we are programming our cells to store our food as fat and hang onto every extra pound.
If calorie math added up, 100 calories of strawberries = 100 calories of soda and according to the quantity of calories we’ve consumed over the past few decades, we should all weigh over 1,000 pounds. It doesn’t seem right—because it’s not. While some calories are designed to repair tissue, boost brain power, and fuel metabolism, others work against us. In THE CALORIE MYTH, Bailor gives clear comprehensive guidance on what to eat and why, providing an eating plan, easy recipes, and a simple at-home exercise program.
You don’t have to go hungry or spend hours exercising to lose weight, get healthy, and be happy. With the new science of weight loss, slim is simple.
10. The rate of obesity has MORE THAN DOUBLED since 1980.
9. There are as many overweight people alive as there were TOTAL PEOPLE ALIVE ~100 years ago.
8. More than 40 million children UNDER 5 are overweight.
7. Obesity is now the #1 health concern among U.S. parents, TOPPING DRUGS & SMOKING.
6. The rate of diabetes and pre-diabetes has INCREASED ABOUT 100,000% in the last 100 years.
5. Diet related diseases have OVERTAKEN TOBACCO AS THE LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH in the U.S..
4. Obesity is shortening average life spans more than accidents, homicides and suicides COMBINED.
3. About ONE IN THREE American kids are overweight or obese.
2. Overweight kids have a 70% chance of struggling with excess fat FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES.
1. Thanks to the obesity and diabetes epidemics, for the first time in U.S. history, TODAY’S CHILDREN ARE EXPECTED TO DIE AT A YOUNGER AGE THAN THEIR PARENTS.
I believe we have a moral obligation to stop this…and I promise you, two-thirds of us did not spontaneously become lazy gluttons. There’s a lot more going on here politically, economically, and biologically than we’re led to believe. This is about so much more than weight loss. It’s definitely not about starving ourselves and spending hours on stair-steppers. It’s not about pills, powders, or potions. It’s about simple science, proven biology, and common sense. It’s about empowering others as we heal ourselves. It’s about eating more and exercising less—but smarter.
We don’t use the same computers we used decades ago. We don’t fly in the same planes we flew in decades ago. So, why are we being taught the same disproven nutrition and exercise theories we were taught decades ago?
If you are tired of myths and marketing, then please don’t starve yourself or spend your life on a treadmill. Eat more. Exercise less. Just do it smarter. Together, we can save lives while simplifying slim and making “healthy” healthy again.
– Jonathan Bailor
Over the past few decades we’ve been trying harder and harder to be healthy and fit. The result: We got heavy and sick. What’s going on here?
If a doctor prescribes us a medication and it makes us worse, we would stop taking it and fire our doctor. If an architect builds us a house and it crumbles, we would fire them too, and we certainly would not blame ourselves for our housing issues. Why not apply the same logic to health and fitness? Seems reasonable. But what else is there other than the old calorie counting approach we’ve all been taught?
There is an alternative.
We can do what every human being up until a few decades ago did: Eat actual food and stay active. No complex calorie counting. No confusing workout routines. No pills, powders, or potions.
It may be helpful to think about this alternative approach like this: Want to avoid lung cancer? No need to worry about breathing, just don’t smoke. Keep the stuff that causes lung cancer out of your body. Similarly, want to avoid obesity and diabetes? No need to worry about eating, just don’t eat “foods” that didn’t exist prior to the obesity and diabetes epidemics. Keep the stuff that causes obesity and diabetes out of your body.
We’ve gotten worse while trying harder because we’re essentially trying to avoid lung cancer while continuing to smoke. We’ve been instructed to eat foods that cause obesity and diabetes. Avoiding those diseases is really hard and complex when we are told to eat the foods that cause them. We’ve been given bad information, but we can certainly take the power back and make slim simple again.
To get started, try these seven tips:
- Remember that nobody knew what a calorie was let alone counted them when the rates of overweight were twenty times lower than they are today. Counting calories cannot be required to stay slim.
- Avoid any person or program who makes health and fitness seem complex. There’s a good chance they are more interested in making money than in helping you.
- Vitamins and minerals are essential and there are essential fatty acids and essential amino acids. There is no such thing as essential sugars or essential starches. Don’t make the majority of your diet unneeded sugars and starches.
- If a food doesn’t spoil, it will likely spoil your health. Make sure most of what you eat comes out of your refrigerator or freezer.
- Replace your fear of fat with a fear of anything processed. Note: Processed = not found directly in nature.
- If our grandmothers didn’t eat it, we shouldn’t either. She, and all of our other ancestors, stayed slim and healthy without really trying. We can too.
- Exercise “cancels out” eating processed foods like exercise “cancels out” smoking—it doesn’t. Processed foods, like cigarettes, do damage to our bodies that has nothing to do with calories, and therefore cannot be undone by burning more of them.
If counting calories and exercising obsessively is working and enjoyable for you, please keep it up. However, if you are interested in simplifying slim you may enjoy THE CALORIE MYTH.
– Jonathan Bailor
Collaborating with top scientists for over 10 years, analyzing over 1,300 studies, synthesizing over 10,000 pages of research, and garnering endorsements by top doctors from Harvard Medical School, Johns Hopkins, Yale, and UCLA, Jonathan Bailor is a preeminent nutrition & exercise expert & former personal trainer who specializes who specializes in using high-quality food and exercise to simplify health and fitness.
He has registered over 25 patents and authored the revolutionary upcoming The Calorie Myth (HarperCollins, 12.31.13). Bailor serves as a Senior Program Manager at Microsoft, hosts a popular syndicated wellness radio show, blogs on The Huffington Post, and consults for organizations around the world. His free 28-day quick-start eating and exercise guide is available at BailorGroup.com.
A Summa Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa graduate of DePauw University, Bailor lives outside of Seattle with his wife Angela and works to enable others to live better through simple, proven science.
Media booking and speaking info: TheBailorGroup.com/JonathanBailor