Palmaria palmata, or dulse is reddish brown and thought of as a delicacy by many. It has doubtless been harvested for many centuries but, the earliest recording is 1400 years ago; St Columba and the monks of Iona ate it. Icelandic peoples also used it from early times. Now it is being cultivated and sold as a gourmet food. In Nova Scotia it is called Sea Parsley.
Dulse seaweed (Rhodymenia palmata) comes from a sea vegetable that has a fine distinct taste of the sea. Naturally mineral rich, our raw Organic Dulse powder can be easily included in practically any dish. Sprinkle it on entrees, soups and salads. Or add it to smoothies, teas and iced drinks. Our organic Dulse powder comes from the pristine and protected oceans off the coast of Canada.
Dulse is also a great natural source of Iodine / Potassium iodide (KI). Iodine is a chemical element essential for the production of thyroid hormones that regulate growth and metabolism. Iodine / Potassium iodide (KI), administered orally immediately after exposure to certain types of radiation, may be used to protect the thyroid from ingested radioactive iodine. But Potassium iodide (KI) / Iodine would only be effective if the radiation contains radioactive iodine. This natural form of Iodine from Dulse is absorbed by your body more slowly and safely than chemical or synthetic iodine. Further, Dulse helps promote an alkaline pH balance within the body and also boosts the immune system.
Dulse, contains around 10 – 20% protein and a whole slew of vitamins and minerals including, Alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, cobalt, lutein, niacin, phosphorus, riboflavin, selenium, silicon, sodium, tin, zeaxanthin, calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, iodine, manganese, copper, chromium, zinc, vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, E and zinc. Unlike other seaweeds, it is relatively low in sodium.
Dulse powder is an excellent source of other phytochemicals and minerals. The complex polysaccharides in the herb make it a gentle alternative to psyllium or senna for the use of constipation. There are anecdotal reports that the daily use of a few flakes of Dulse can relieve cyclic mastalgia after two months. Dulse is eaten also with fish and butter, boiled with milk and rye flour, or as a relish. The gelatinous substance contained in Dulse is a thickening agent and imparts a reddish color to the food with which it is mixed.
In several traditions of European herbal medicine, Dulse powder was used to remove parasites, to relieve constipation and as a treatment for scurvy. Diets deficient in iodine increase the risk of retarded brain development in children (cretinism), mental slowness, high cholesterol, lethargy, fatigue, depression, weight gain, and goiter: a swelling of the thyroid gland in the neck.
Some possible traditional uses of Raw Organic Dulse Seaweed Powder may include:
● Ability to scavenge chemicals, drugs, heavy metals & radioisotopes throughout the body
● Great natural source of Iodine / Potassium iodide (KI)
● May Strengthen immunity
● One of the richest plant sources of calcium
● Removal of parasites
● More vitamin C than oranges
● May Relieve constipation
● Nurturing healthy heart vessels
● Aids in waste movement & digestion
● High mineral content, especially: iodine, calcium, iron, magnesium
● May Relieve cyclic mastalgia
● Anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory properties
● Aids in Fighting scurvy
● Polysaccharides: important in the prevention of degenerative diseases
● Strengthens an underactive thyroid
● Excellent source of bioavailable iron
● May play a role in lowering risk of estrogen-related problems
● Cholesterol-lowering effects
● Antiviral, anticoagulant, & antithrombotic properties
● Contains fucoidans which may have anti-inflammatory benefits
● Natural source of the mineral vanadium which appears to play a multi-faceted role in regulation of carbohydrate metabolism & blood sugar